Monday, May 22, 2006

SNG Fever

Late Saturday Night Summary

BetFred $0.50/$1.00 and $1/$2 6-max Limit
few hours of play
(-$49)

Sunday Summary

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
25 played
7 - 1st, 2 - 3rd, 4 - 4th, 3 - 5th, 5 - 6th, 3 - 7th, 1 - 8th
+$38
27.6% ROI

Late Saturday night I played some 6-max at BetFred and gave back $49 after having been up $63 earlier in the day. It was a bad decision to play so late as I had exhausted myself with all the Poker Stars milestone chasing earlier in the day/evening. Just another reminder to watch my session lengths and fatigue levels. I get lots of these reminders and am pretty sure I will get more. I was playing with LAGs who kept hitting their hands and caught myself playing way off my game as a result. By then the damage had already been done and I eventually, and reluctantly, shut everything down and got myself to bed.

The weather on Sunday turned out to be cooperatively poor afterall and I got in a pile of SNG's. I have never come close to putting in 25 SNG's in a day before and doubled my month total to date with that run. I played 3 at a time and for the most part found that to be quite manageable. I did try one set of 4 at a time and found that to be fairly unmanageable once all 4 were still going after 45 minutes. I can see how people can play a large number of these at a time if using a good monitor which can handle 4 windows with no overlap. I play on my laptop which has MAJOR overlap and is very difficult for me to follow the play well and get good reads and notes on players. Even still, 3 tables at once at the $5.50 level is okay, though far from ideal for me.

Not surprisingly, my ROI and ITM dropped when playing multiple tables and everything took a big turn south after I had played 8 hours straight, yet continued to play for another few hours. Towards the end of the night I did make some pretty nasty mistakes and got yet another reminder to watch my session lengths and fatigue levels. Deja vu.

Strangely, I had a lot of 1st place finishes relative to my normal distribution. I had been a bit worried about the lack of 1st place finishes compared to 2nd's and 3rd's but after this mega session I now have a distribution of 17 1st, 15 2nd and 14 3rd place finishes. I was playing for 1st all day and as a result I bubbled a lot, finishing 4th or 5th 7 times, never finishing 2nd and only finishing 3rd twice.

I took some time this morning to review a few of yesterdays SNG's and this is something I should definitely spend more time on. While I do want to be the best player I can be, I do get much more enjoyment out of playing rather than studying and this leads me to spend the vast majority of my poker time on play rather than learning. I reviewed a few SNG's in Poker Tracker and spotted some ugly big errors (this was pretty easy to do in the last few SNG's of the night) and a few on-going leaks to work on. I also reviewed a few SNG's in SNGPT in order to identify situations where it was +EV to push all in. Unless I am short stacked I usually opt to raise a portion of my stack rather than push it all in as long as a normal 3xBB raise doesn't represent 30 or 40% of my total stack. SNGPT is a great tool for identifying situations where I should be pushing as it analyzes relative stacks, position and blind levels and provides EV calculations for a push given different calling ranges. For anyone who plays a lot of SNG's or MTT's, this is an incredible tool worth many times what it costs to register. Check it out at Sit n Go Power Tools. For anyone who plays SNG's or MTT's against me, this software is a piece of crap, don't waste your money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home