Saturday, May 20, 2006

Score!!!

Alternate title: I love Poker Stars!
Alternate title: The Best Hand of my Life!
Alternate title: Holy Crap!
Alternate title: Yay!
Alternate title: Eating my Words!

Anyone remember when I said "I am certain it would be more +EV for me to sit at tables and raise just to steal blinds as everyone else folds but oh well." Okay, probably not, but I was dead wrong. I was feeling a little silly about hunting the Poker Stars milestone hand bonus by folding rapidly in order to get in as many hands as possible as the milestone approached. Well, I am not feeling the least bit silly about it right now.

My group hit milestone hand #4,995,500,000 on Poker Stars earning each of us a cool $2,000 and the winner of the hand $5,000. As fortune would have it, all 6 of us are 2+2 posters or lurkers. A couple of these guys had stayed up literally all night long trying to get lucky and hit a milestone hand. I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so got up and fired up Poker Stars to do some folding. And Bingo! Major luckbox hit a few hours later.

So, now I get to feel like even more of a tool as I play my big $0.50/1.00 6-max with a bankroll in excess of $5k. All in good time though. Due to bonuses, my bankroll is growing much quicker than my skill and comfort level. Actually, I feel that my skill level is ready for $1/$2 but I'm waiting for my comfort level to catch up still.

Now I have a very odd "Best Hand of my Life" as it turned out to be a 75o that I folded without seeing my cards as the glare of the hand #xxxxx00000 blinded me. For further let down on the biggest hand of my life, the hand got folded around to the blinds. There were about 100 observers in our room immediately afterwards screaming about the fact that we donkeys just folded someone $5k. I think we'll all live just fine, as the winner of the hand graciously chopped the difference equally amongst us all. They were also screaming that we were bots, all the same person, the hand wasn't dealt and thus didn't count, we were all witches and should be burnt, Poker Stars was going to take back the money when they heard about this and other various niceties. Even though HostJacob repeatedly posted in the room that the hand indeed was dealt and there was nothing at all wrong with the win, the crazed mob carried on. It was kinda cute really.

Friday Night Summary

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
7 played
1 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 2 - 6th
+$29

BetFred $0.50/$1.00 6-max Limit
3 hours
(-$9)

It was a pretty good night for SNG's last night too. One of those 2nd place finishes should have (could have) been a 1st as I was very much in control of that SNG but it went headsup during a rush of folding on 8 tables for milestone hands and I would either push all-in or fold pre-flop depending on whether I had time to slide the bar all the way to the right or only had time to click fold. That guy must have thought I was a complete donkey and I probably made his buddy list.

In between folding sprees I managed to play some 6-max limit at BetFred in order to try and work of some more of the raked hands I require for the $250 initial deposit bonus. In standard BetFred practice, I got beat up for most of the night. The combination of river suck-outs and just plain ole outdraws was crazy at times. In many cases, people were chasing total crap and catching on the river, which is great in the long run and I'm cool with. In many other cases, people were just on good draws that were coming in for them on the river too, which isn't as quite as fantastic in the long run but I'm cool with that too. I guess overall I'm cool with it. But it sure does make me want to break things sometimes. In the end it was a pretty minor loss for the night anyway and I did get a bit closer to the bonus.

As for now, I am still folding like a madman on Poker Stars for another 5 hours or so as the 5 billionth hand approaches and sneaking in some 6-max play on BetFred in between. I am looking forward to playing a pile of SNG's later tonight and tomorrow at Poker Stars. Running well at the SNG's plus the nice bonus pay off there has me feeling pretty good about PS right now.

Between the lack of sleep and the adrenaline shot to the heart when we hit that hand, I could really go for a nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home