Friday, May 19, 2006

What's up Doc

I hate being sick. I am a big suck about it and just lie around waiting to die. I took Monday off and slept until past noon. The next three days, I went home immediately after work and slept for 1 to 2 hours each evening and still got to bed at a decent hour. I have consumed so much orange juice this week that a crack addiction may be a cheaper habit.

My girlfriend has been at my place the entire week coughing evil germs at me and it turned out that she had some sort of bacterial throat infection. As I was showing near identical symptoms I figured I had better go see a Doctor sooner rather than later as I must have the same problem.

If there is something I hate more than being sick, is being told by a medical professional that I'm not nearly as sick as I think I am. While it could be a bacterial infection, apparently it could also just be allergies, so while my girlfriend takes antibiotics and gets hopped up on freaky narcotic-filled cough syrup, I am supposed to take over the counter allergy medication. I had been taking allergy medication all week long already. I hate Doctors. I did feel a bit for this poor guy though. It was a walk-in clinic and it was very busy this morning. He was the only one on staff and is trying to get out of town for vacation. The patient he saw immediately before me had her 2 year son with her who screamed like he was being tortured for the entire visit. Apparently the kid had a 'bad experience' at this clinic another time. I'm sure I could have been holding my severed arm on my lap and he would have told me to take a couple aspirin and drink plenty of fluids. I hope he enjoys his vacation. And gets leprosy.

I won't even start about my own Doctor, who I'm beginning to think doesn't even exist anymore as his office is always closed and when it isn't, I can never get an appointment within the next month. This is the same guy who told me about three years ago that I don't need another physical until 2011. Canada's free health care system rocks!

In other exciting news, my new neighbors moved their couch in through my window on the seventh floor this morning. The couch was too deep to fit in the prehistoric elevators in our condo (built around 1920 or earlier) and apparently this couch has a lot of sentimental value to them. They have a young daughter and my best guess is that she was conceived on the couch. Apparently it has travelled all over the world with them and they were pretty intent on keeping it. My unit is the only one on the floor with windows large enough to get the couch through, so I offered the use of it to them. Getting the couch in the window turned out to be a breeze as they hired a boom truck or crane or something. Getting the couch out of my place into the hall was not. For a while it didn't look like it would fit, but a few gouges out of my walls and a bit of twisting, squishing and cracking later, it popped free and the rest was easy.

I played some poker last night as well. Maybe I'll post about that later. Doctor hatred took precedence today for some reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home