Monday, May 15, 2006

Live Poker Plus

Friday Night

Friday night was live poker night and a great way to kick the weekend off. We had our regular nine, plus more who wanted to play. My first of many mistakes of the evening was to show up a couple of hours before we usually start. I was supposed to take my car to the dealership, which just happens to be within a few blocks of the hosts house, first thing on Saturday morning. I figured there would likely be some drinking going on during the poker games and chances were high that I would not feel like leaping out of bed first thing on Saturday morning to take the car in, so it made sense to drop the car off Friday evening instead. Anyway, by the time anyone else showed up we had polished off a few more drinks than we probably should have.

Everyone finally arrived and we got started a bit late. The first game of the night is always brutally slow because most of these guys are just happy to be out of the house and are busy catching up with each other and paying minimal attention to the poker. I am plenty happy to see them and catch up as well, but think it can be done while keeping the game moving along too. It turned out to be a really tight start compared to normal. We made it all the way to the second hand before someone was eliminated. The second person eliminated lasted a good solid four hands. I have never seen so many people fall so in love with ace-rag. Well, I guess I have actually. The game slowed substantially at this point as people stopped getting ace-rag at the same time.

I was card dead for the entire first game and made my exit somewhere along the way in very undramatic fashion. I think 1st and 2nd chopped and we finally got on with game two. We got back to our regular looseness in game two and lost someone on the first hand. Once again I was completely card dead and ending up bubbling out.

By the time the second game was over it was past midnight and we lost a couple players before starting up a third game. By this time the host and me were into our sixth hour of drinking and at least one of us was showing the classic symptoms. I am certain that I was under full control and not being the least bit obnoxious, but I can't really remember very well one way or the other. In the third game I started catching decent cards and while I still had to show down a lot of hands in order to win pots, pre-flop raises plus continuation bets started to take some pots down uncontested as well. I pretty much controlled the entire game and rubbed out the host with my QTs against his AK along the way, which made for a good fifteen minutes of entertainment afterwards. He was a little pissed. I had raised first in from the button, he had pushed his remaining short stack into me and it wasn't enough to allow me to fold. I hit my flush and he hit the roof. Good times. I went on to win that game eventually.

It was about 2am by the end of the third game, so we lost a couple more players and decided to play one more. Brilliant plan. We were down to five people and decided that first would get $80 and second place would get their money back. I don't have much to say about the last game as the combination of fatigue and nine hours of drinking have made it all a hazy memory. I learned Saturday night that I finished second as I got it all in against 52s which hit a straight. So that left me up $20 for the night. It was great fun but I was a wee bit tired on Saturday as I finally crawled into bed around 4:30 am.


Saturday Summary

Party Poker $0.50/$1.00 6-max Limit
130 hands played
+$16

I slept in fairly late on Saturday but managed to knock of a few hands towards the Party Poker reload bonus in the afternoon. I started out hot, winning $18 in the first 10 minutes or so before that table cleared out. Then won another $8 in the next 10 minutes before losing $10 over the next hour. I had to cut the session off there as I had a ticket for the Sens playoff game Saturday night.

We got out to the rink with plenty of time to spare and had a couple drinks while waiting to meet up with some other friends. We watched Buffalo rub out the Sens playoff hopes in overtime and headed back downtown. I met up with a couple friends from work at a pub not far from my place and my girlfriend came out to meet us. To make a long story short, there were plenty of drinks, a bit of dancing and another very late night.

May generally goes like this for me. I work like mad all winter and then things let up a bit in May. I party my head off until I get sick, then ease into the summer. My girlfriend has had a nasty cold since Thursday or so and has been staying at my place all through the weekend. Coupling her cold with those late nights and plenty of partying meant that by Sunday I had a cold for myself.


Sunday Summary

Party Poker $0.50/$1.00 6-max Limit
1,304 hands played
(-$76)

Party Poker $1.00/$2.00 6-max Limit
185 hands played
+$18

The onset of a cold plus back to back late nights with a healthy dose of hangover thrown in for good measure added up to feeling like crap on Sunday. I suspect that I wasn't playing my A-game given how I was feeling, but I did play a pile of poker anyway. I ended up putting in a marathon session of over nine hours pretty much straight, so I won't bother complaining much about losing. I suspect that the majority of times I play that long I will come out behind. I did play some 1/2 after taking a break for a few hours and faired a bit better.


Monday Summary

Party Poker $1/$2 6-max Limit
242 hands played
+$30

Poker Stars
$5 SNG's
6 played
1 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 1 - 3rd, 2 - 4th
+$26

I woke up long enough on Monday morning to call the office and let them know I wouldn't be in. I've always been a big suck when I'm sick and I'm not about to change that. I then proceeded to sleep until past noon and felt quite a bit better when I finally dragged myself out of bed. I hopped on Party poker and knocked off the rest of the hands required for the bonus while playing 1/2 on a single table. I was up and down a little for most of the session and finished off strong. The tables are notably tighter during the day as compared to evenings and weekends. It seemed to agree with me though for the most part.

I took a long break and then played some sng's at Poker Stars in the evening. I have a $120 bonus stacked up there that I have barely put a dent in and figured now would be a good time to play a bit there as they have double frequent player points from May 12 to May 21 while they celebrate their upcoming 5 billionth hand. In addition to the double FPPs they are offering some bonuses for selected hands. If you are lucky enough to be playing a ring game in the actual 5 billionth hand they are paying $10k to each person dealt in and $50k to the winner. There are a number of other pre-selected hands along the way with $2k to each participant in the hand and $5k to the winner. There are under 50 million hands to go as of right now. Each of those bonus hands will come along about every 1.5 million dealt hands between now and the 5 billionth hand. Even though the odds are crazy long against actually hitting the big hand, I will certainly be tempted to play a bit there as the big one approaches. Stars even has a deposit bonus right now as part of this celebration. I have never known them to have an initial deposit bonus before, but I am new here. With the bonus only being $25, I think you can find better deals out there. I'm sure there are affiliates (rakereduction.com??) who offer $50 for signing up through them. I probably just broke blogging protocol by not having myself signed up as an affiliate and offering up my own code to be used, but as I said before, I am new here. I am pretty sure the two people who read this blog monthly already have Poker Stars accounts already anyhow.

Anyway, I played six SNG's and had piles of fun with them. I play them in tiny sets of two at time and finished 2nd in both in my first set, 4th in each game in my second set, then had a 1st and 3rd in the last set.

The end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home