Thursday, May 25, 2006

2+2 Forum Game

Poker Stars $11 2+2 Forum Game
20 players
8th
(-$11)

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
4 played
1 - 2nd, 1 - 4th, 2 - other
(-$8.50)

One of the main reasons I created a Poker Stars account a few months ago was to participate in some of the 2+2 forum games. I finally got around to playing in one last night and ended up burying myself with a stupid play. I stayed quite tight for most of the tourney managing to steal some blinds here and there with legitimate hands. For the most part, everyone was playing very tight as many hands were being taken before the flop or on the flop.

I finally got involved with a hand that was raised 3xBB pre flop when I called with ATo from the blinds. The flop came Ten high, giving me top pair top kicker and I threw a donk bet for about one-half of the pot at the pre flop raiser who then doubled my bet which I called. The turn was a J, I checked and was faced with a minimum bet which stank to me of begging to be raised. So, because I like to oblige, I did raise and wasn't surprised at all to have the bet doubled on me again which I yet again called. The river came down and he pushed the remainder of his stack in the pot leaving me with a tough decision. There was a possible straight on board, no flush draw and I had no clue where I stood. In a normal $5.50 SNG, I probably walk away from this hand but because I was playing with 2+2'rs I was hyper-sensitive about being bluffed and I felt there was still a very good chance I was ahead. I had him covered, but not by a lot and I eventually called after almost folding the hand. He had a busted straight draw and my hand was good. I was happy to win the hand but it left me wishing I had a much better grasp on no limit.

For a time I had a good stack and stayed quite tight with the odd standard pre-flop raise taking down the pot uncontested. I finally managed to get myself in trouble by re-raising with AQs only to be reraised behind which I stubbornly called despite thinking I was looking at AA, KK or AK. The flop came KJx, with none of my suit. I checked and he bet out . I was already kicking myself for calling the reraise prior to the flop but the bet was so small I felt I had to call. The turn checked through and then he again bet very small on the river. I made one last crying call and got shown pocket Aces. Turns out the K on the flop slowed him down as he had me on KK. So, I lost a huge chunk of my stack on a pretty stupid play...but at least I didn't get bluffed!!!

After this I was pretty short stacked, which is actually the part of SNG's I am probably most comfortable in playing, as I can just push when conditions are right and not worry about getting outplayed on later streets. I doubled up when my pocket nines held up against overcards and managed to take down blinds a few times with a couple standard raises. Eventually I got blinded down though and was back in push or fold mode and pushed an A-rag into a KQs which hit the flush and was sent on my way. With the exception of the two hands detailed in agonizing, yet still incomplete, detail above, I was pretty happy with my play and I faired better than I expected to. It was a lot of fun to play with the 2+2 bunch and it sure was different to play in such a tight environment. Next time I would be doing myself a favour not to worry about who I am playing with though and just play my game.

Afterwards I played a few SNG's. And that is all I have to say about that.

In other news, I got a mega major promotion after a big meeting with all the pooh-bahs in our firm to discuss my productive (or lack thereof) hours. Great news for my life bankroll but potentially awful news for my poker bankroll as I will have to slim down my forum and blog reading during the day. I figured I might have to become a mature and responsible individual one day. I could stand to do a little more work at work so I'm sure it will be all good, plus working for oneself will be all the more rewarding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home