Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Another Month

May Summary

BetFred $0.50/$1.00 and $1/$2 6-max Limit
(-$58)

Party Poker $0.50/$1.00 and $1/$2 6-max Limit
+$220
+$100 reload bonus

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
95 played
+$139
26.6% ROI

$11 SNG's and misc. tourneys
(-$23)

+$2,500 milestone hand bonus

Wednesday Night Summary

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
6 played, 1 - 1st, 4 - 2nd, 1 - 5th
+$43.50

Tuesday Night Summary

Poker Stars $4.40 & $3.30 tourneys
30th/180 & 265th/1,473
(-$8)

Poker Stars $5.50 SNG's
2 played, 1 - 5th, 1 - 6th
(-$11)

I played a pile of SNG's this month, knocking off 95 of them at the $5.50 level. The more I played, the lower my ROI fell as reality started catching up to my early hot streak. Not that I really expected a 40% or high 30%'s ROI to continue, but it sure was nice while it lasted. Given my low amount of experience with the SNG's, I am very happy that my ROI is hanging in there above 25%. If I expect to do decent at higher levels though, I am going to need to throw some more studying into the mix but I did get a nice bump in the experience department this month.

My initial goal before moving to the $11's was to play at least 100 SNG's at the $5.50 level and build my bankroll from my initial $200 to $500. I passed the 100 figure this month and ended the month up $225 which gets me within $75 of the winnings criteria. I have been fairly patient so far but I increasingly feel that I am a huge wimp when it comes to pushing myself and moving up, so I may not wait out the full $500 bankroll. If history is any indicator though, I will hit that goal and go well past before I convince myself to tackle the next level.

Speaking of next levels, I have been talking about moving to $1/$2 6-max Limit for months I think. I did play a bit at that level in May, with some success at Party, but got sidetracked somewhere along the way by SNG's. In June I hope to get back to 6-max limit hold 'em and take some more shots at $1/$2.

On the bonus front, I don't have many raked hands left to finish up a $250 bonus at BetFred but it seems everytime I play there I get my butt handed to me in some fashion or other. It isn't the tough competition either, I have just run bad there ever since the second week I was there. Also, I am almost done a $120 bonus at Poker Stars which will be easy to wrap up in June if I just play a few more SNG's there.

May turned out to be a banner month for me. The huge amount of bonus is due to hitting a milestone hand at Poker Stars as their 5 billionth hand approached. It also turned out to be my best month to date in terms of winnings. I have won a little bit more each month since I started playing poker in November. This of course is a trend that can't continue forever but so far so good and I hope it continues for another few months or longer should I be so lucky. I took a big downturn with the SNG's a few days ago and it looked like if I continued to run poorly I could lose enough in the last few days of the month to slip below April's winnings. That turned around tonight though when I placed in the money in 5 out of 6 SNG's. I finished 2nd in four of them, 1st in one and 5th in one. A couple of those 2nd places really should have been 1st places but I screwed myself with over-aggressive headsup play...if there is such a thing. On the flip side, I really snuck into the money in a couple others and was happy to take 2nd place. The +$43.50 night inflated the winnings at the end of the month, bringing me back to where I was a week or two ago before leaking away some winnings. As fun as the SNG's are, my best bet for making money likely lies with 6-max limit poker. The variance is definitely more pleasant with SNG's though.

Last night I gave myself a little reminder why I shouldn't play MTT's as I donated a few bucks to a couple tourneys. I played far too tight for far too long, letting myself get blinded down. I have to loosen up and play some more hands after the first couple levels. I outlasted a pile of people but that is all I did as I was always well below the average stack and never gave myself a fighting chance. I did have fun though!

I'm wiped and rambling and boring myself now. Not good.

Hope your May was great and your June is even better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home