Sunday, April 16, 2006

Results > Play Quality

Party $0.50/$1.00 6-max Limit
250 hands
+$28

The title is not meant to indicate that I feel results are more important than quality of play, as I feel quite the opposite. Last night was just one of those nights when my results were good in spite of how I played, not necessarily because of how I played. I got involved with a few pots I shouldn't have been in. I made a couple folds when I easily had pure odds to play on, let alone implied odds. I chased a couple hands further than I should have. Despite a number of mistakes, my results were good.

Despite a number of mistakes, the rest of my play was fairly solid though. None of the errors were huge on their own but there was a frightening number of them and they were very obvious. If there were so many that I recognized immediately, I wonder how many smaller mistakes I made that I am completely unaware of. In theory, it is better to play perfect poker and lose money than to play suboptimal poker and win money. Hard to tell that to the bankroll though, in the short term.

I have had nights that go the other way, when I have felt that I played very well but the results were awful. In those cases I always doubt whether I was indeed playing as well as I thought and I suspect that I probably wasn't. I definitely need to work on analyzing my game more often and more thoroughly. At this point, it wouldn't take much effort to improve upon my current practice as it is rare that I analyze anything other than a few of the hands that I lost the most money on.

I do believe that poker is about making correct decisions and not about short term results. The focus of this blog tends to be in direct contrast to that as I intended to really use this just to keep track of the growth of my bankroll (which would supposedly mirror the growth of my game). I'm not sure where all this wordy crap came from and keep expecting it to stop. Just a reminder to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home