Monday, December 04, 2006

Stocking up on Losses

This weekend was full of lots and lots of losing on the poker tables. I don't know (and don't really want to) the exact figure, but it is somewhere just on the good side of $200 or so. I got in a number of SNG's, several small MTT's, some $1/$2 6-max limit and even snuck in some no limit ring towards the end. A second place finish in one SNG was the only money I saw on any of the tourneys, despite playing reasonably well. My chips went into the middle with the best hand far more often than not and if hold'em were a 2 card game that might actually mean something!

Towards the end of the weekend I sat down at a $10NL full ring table just for kicks and had a blast. I can't remember the last time I played a no limit ring game and should mix it into my rotation more often as limit games continue to slowly dry up. I hadn't been playing for all that long when I set a guy off and ended up being called a donkey. I think what did it was me actually playing like a donkey. I raised a big $0.30 first in from middle position with pocket Queens and got re-raised to $0.70, which I only called instead of re-popping, intending to go crazy on a flop with no A or K. The flop brought a K and two hearts and I bravely open checked and was not surprised when he bet $1.50, leaving only $4 or so in his stack. I almost folded there but decided there were too many hands he could have that he would c-bet with that I had beat and really after dropping $200 or so over the weekend, losing another $6 or so with pocket Queens really wasn't going to be too upsetting, so I started making hee-haw noises and min bet raised him. He pushed, I called, I watched as another heart hit the board and then an Ace on the river, either of which must surely be sealing my fate. Much to my surprise the pot got pushed my way and this poor guy went ballistic, cursing all the damn DonkeyStars on this stupid shitty site. To his credit, his 65o did catch a back door straight draw on that flop and gave me some internal satisfaction that although I did play every street like a complete donkey, he deserved it. Well, not every street...I did play the river perfectly.

And that was the last river card I saw in any hand I was involved in for quite some time. The number of pots I took down with continuation bets on the flop was unbelievable. I was very surprised at how tight the table was. Raises for 3BB's took the blinds down far more often that I thought would be the case. The table loved limping but not many people were crazy about calling raises. I didn't think blind stealing would be a big possibility at such low stakes no limit but standard raises from late position often worked and when they didn't, a c-bet usually did the trick. I ended up running up my initial buy in of $10 to almost $40 with a lot of small pots. The only other large pot that I got involved in was when I got it all in pre-flop with AA against KQo when I raised under the gun, got re-raised to $0.70, popped it to $2.50 and the guy pushed his remaining $7 into the pot.

I was having a great time at the no limit table but realized that I had better shut it down when I accidentally bet $20 instead of $0.20 on the flop once towards the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home