Monday, November 13, 2006

Who the hell banned poker!?

So, I go away for three or four months and the online poker world falls apart? Sheesh, way to go slackers.

I sorta slept through the whole ordeal as it happened and still don't know the whole story, though being Canadian, I think I'm free to go play with the Europeans at any of the US banned sites. It sounds as though the biggest single change is Party drying up with the loss of the US customers. I did my part to help them on their way by withdrawing almost all my funds and finally realizing a true poker gain with a real live actual deposit in my bank account, which I keep waiting to be reversed for some reason. So, finally one year after I started playing online poker at all, I have a few grand in the bank to show for it. Or a few grand less bank debt owing, whatever.

On the flipside of Party drying up, it looks like a good chunk of all that business landed at PokerStars and it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch. I understand that Full Tilt is chugging along well too but am not playing enough to bother opening an account there for the time being.

We hit Las Vegas for a few nights in late October and had a great time. I played some 2/4 and 3/6 limit while there and ended up a couple hundred in addition to the minor liver damage done while playing. I saw lots of very nice looking poker rooms while there yet ended up doing all my play at Bally's, which hardly counts as a poker room, but it was handy and attracted nice juicy games. The 2/4 game bore a striking resemblance to 0.05/0.10 online. I had always heard that the live games were like that but really thought it was an exaggeration until I saw it myself.

Since getting back from Vegas, I have played a little bit online at PokerStars. In an attempt to lure me back, Stars has been letting me win more than my fair share with something like 19 winning sessions out of 20. Hah, I'm not going to fall for those online rigged tricks. I am just messing around with a bit of 0.25/0.50 6-max limit and 0.50/1.00 HORSE. I really enjoy playing HORSE because the ending is always a surprise. With the exception of the H, I have no clue what I'm doing as the ORS and E are complete mysteries to me. Fortunately, everyone else at the table usually sucks even worse than I do. At one point, we were 7 hands into Stud and I was still playing Razz and still wasn't the worst player at the table. Hard to beat that for fun!

All joking aside, I'm not sure why I'm winning but I think a huge factor has been short sessions. I'm not chasing any bonuses, not trying to grind out a pile of hours or hands, I'm just playing for short periods mainly for fun and it seems to be working. Oh, and I'm obviously catching a crap-ton of the upside of variance. I loaded up pokertracker onto my new laptop after a few sessions and then tracked a couple and if I recall correctly, the general thought is that a 28BB/100 win rate is not sustainable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home