Monday, February 26, 2007

Back in Black

In the past month I have not been able to stick to one game and ended up hopping around from quite a bit. Early in the month, I went on a streak of playing $4 180-person SNG's at Poker Stars. Once I got tired of losing just out of the money in these, I went on a mini heater on baby stake single table tournaments, which quickly got replaced by a string of 6-max limit games for a short run. For the last couple weeks or so, I have been messing around with 6-max no limit ring games with some success.

So far so good with the no-limit, as I am running at a nice and unsustainable pace in excess of 10ptbb/100 over a completely insignificant sample size at the $10 max buy in level. I am in no rush at all to move up, despite being severely over-rolled for this limit and am quite content to make all the noob mistakes I can at a level that costs so little. I have been stacked a couple times playing overpairs into sets and am still need a lot of work on a lot of aspects of my game. I tend to have a complete lack of respect for short-stack players and while this has served me very well so far, I suspect it could get me in some trouble at higher levels.

With the exception of tourneys, all of the various games this month have been good to me. I am up somewhere around $100 on the month so far, which is a nice change from the previous couple of months. Somewhere along the way I managed to clear off a $150 bonus at Poker Stars as well. At the much lower rate I am earning bonuses this year compared to last, I expect that my bonuses will come in at a fraction of what I made last year. With the new tougher and tighter games these days, I will definitely have to revise my yearly goal down a bit from my original target of $3.5 million. I would like to make at least what I made last year in total, with a greater portion coming from winnings as opposed to bonuses. At the same time, I intend to play a lot less than I did last year and have moved down in limits, so I'm not quite sure how that will work out.

All kinds of useless (and not 100% accurate) stats to date:
- Gross winnings of just under $8K
- Gross losses of just under $7K
- Net winnings of just over $1K
- Party Poker accounts for $1.2K of my net winnings
- I am a net loser to date at Poker Stars of (-$100) to date, but have earned close to $3K in bonuses there
- Paradise remains my worst site to date with losses of over (-$200)
- Best game to date is 6-max $0.50/$1 LHE with winnings of just under $500
- My next best game is full ring $0.50/$1 LHE with winnings of $280. This is surprising as I haven't played full ring games in a year
- Worst game to date is 6-max $2/$4 LHE with losses of just over (-$200), which I managed to rack up in record time over a two or three day period
- My stats show that I am a net winner at multi-table tourneys but only due to one big 3rd place finish. I am fairly certain that I am dead money
- I am a net loser to date at SNG's (-$5.50). I would have guessed I was a net winner due to winnings of over $200 more recently at the $5.50's at Poker Stars but had an awful start in my first few months of play at Paradise which offsets those results
- Short-handed ring games account for 60% of my winnings to date, full ring cash games make up 25% and MTT's account for the remainder
- Limit games account for all of my winnings, with me being a small net loser at no limit and pot limit games to date
- Hold 'em accounts for virtually all of my winnings, with 7 stud hi-lo adding a very small sum to the total and HORSE, Omaha and Razz eating away at the winnings with combined losses of about (-$55)
- Winnings broken down by day of the week still freaks me out:
Sunday (-$22)
Monday +$149
Tuesday +$155
Wednesday (-$345)
Thursday (-$6)
Friday +$908
Saturday +$164
- Winnings broken down by session end time indicates that I lose money when I play after midnight and win the most on sessions ending between 8 and 11 pm
- Session table hours indicate that I am a small net loser for sessions under 1 hour and make just about all of my money on sessions that last between 1 and 2 hours (+$610) or between 4 and 5 hours (+$350)

All of this basically adds up to say that I should only play limit hold'em with Party Poker drunks on Friday nights at limits that are low enough to attract people who actually manage to play worse than I do. And quit at midnight before I'm too drunk myself.

So, naturally I will go home and play some no limit at Poker Stars.

3 Comments:

Blogger Semi-Pro Poker Player said...

LOL, floppy. (re: your last line).

Follow the money, just follow the money...

3:10 PM  
Blogger FloppyJT said...

Hey Michael,

I switched it up at the last minute and actually headed over to the promised land they call Party Poker. That place just never seems to disappoint. Well, as long as you disregard their software. And customer service. And lack of US players...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Semi-Pro Poker Player said...

Oh man, do I miss Party. Those were the days...

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home